A one-time assistant to Rodin, Pompon first showed this sculpture in plaster
at the Salon d’Automne in 1922, when he was sixty-seven. Its popularity led to
its production in a variety of sizes, from tabletop to full scale, and a range of
mediums, including plaster, porcelain, and marble. It was a favorite model of his
friend Ruhlmann, who used it in two of his interiors at the 1925 Paris exposition:
a small version in the salon of his own pavilion and life-size version shown at the
pavilion of the Société des Artistes Décorateurs. The Metropolitan purchased this
sculpture from the Galerie Edgar Brandt in 1930.