- Aristide Maillol (French, Banyuls-sur-Mer 1861–1944 Perpignan)
- Alexis Rudier (French) , Paris
- modeled 1902–9, cast date unknown
- 41 1/4 x 22 1/2 x 42 1/2 in. (104.8 x 57.2 x 108 cm)
- Credit Line:
- Gift of Maurice Wertheim, 1950
- Accession Number:
The square shouldered and well-developed, but heavy-set torso is that of Maillol's Catalan wife, Clotilde, who is recognizable as the model for many of Maillol's earlier sculptures, including the monumental Night. A limestone version of the figure was acquired in 1916 by the Kunstmuseum in Winterthur, Switzerland.