Designer: Designed by Louis Comfort Tiffany (American, New York 1848–1933 New York)
Maker: Tiffany Glass and Decorating Company (American, 1892–1902)
Geography: Made in Queens, New York, New York, United States
Medium: Favrile glass
Dimensions: 14 1/8 x 11 1/2 in. (35.9 x 29.2 cm)
Credit Line: Gift of H. O. Havemeyer, 1896
Accession Number: 96.17.10
This vase forms part of a group of more than forty objects given to the Museum in 1896 by Louisine and Henry Osborne Havemeyer (96.17.9–.56), the first American glass to enter the Museum's collection. Most likely prompted by Louis Comfort Tiffany, the Havemeyers presented their collection of Tiffany favrile glass to the Museum only three years after Tiffany started making decorative blown-glass vessels. The shapes, colors, and finishes of Tiffany's vases and plaques were inspired by the natural world and by ancient glass.