Date: ca. 475–450 B.C.
Dimensions: H. 64 3/4 in. (164.5 cm)
Classification: Stone Sculpture
Credit Line: The Cesnola Collection, Purchased by subscription, 1874–76
Accession Number: 74.51.2461
This statue of a man dedicated in a temple at Golgoi reflects the influence of Greek sculptural style in Cypriot art of the fifth century B.C. The lifesize figure wears a typical eastern Greek costume consisting of a finely pleated linen chiton and a wool himation (cloak). He stands with the left foot advanced in a pose that renders a subtle sense of movement. The slight Archaic smile and the jewel-like precision with which the hair and the beard were carved bring to mind Greek Archaic art of the sixth century B.C.
This votive figure wears a wreath of oak leaves and stylized narcissus flowers, which must have evoked ideas of fertility and regeneration. In his left hand he holds a dove, perhaps intended as a gift for the deity of the temple at Golgoi.