Made by Frank Lloyd Wright (American, 18671959)
Glass, zinc; 86 1/4 x 28 x 2 in. (219.1 x 71.1 x 5.1 cm)
Purchase, Edgar J. Kaufmann Foundation and Edward C. Moore Jr. Gifts, 1967 (67.231.1)
The playhouse, an addition to the Avery Coonley estate, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright in 1907, was the architect's first commission following his return from Europe in 1911. As was most of Wright's early ornament, the glass designs were usually derived from natural forms. The Coonley windows, however, are purely geometric, recalling the abstract compositions of contemporary European painters. The use of primary instead of earth tones was also unusual for Wright at that time. The so-called playhouse was actually a kindergarten run by Mrs. Coonley, and Wright undoubtedly had children in mind when he chose to use these festive shapes and colors.