Artist: Antonio Canova (Italian, Possagno 1757–1822 Venice)
Patron: Commissioned by Count Jan and Countess Valeria Tarnowski (Dzików, Poland)
Culture: Italian, Rome
Dimensions: Overall (confirmed): H. 95 1/2 x W. 75 1/2 x D. 40 1/2 in. (242.6 x 191.8 x 102.9 cm)
Credit Line: Fletcher Fund, 1967
Accession Number: 67.110.1
This Perseus, purchased by Countess Valeria Tarnowska of Poland, is a replica of Canova's famed marble of Perseus in the Vatican, conceived about 1790 and first shown in 1801. Based freely on the Apollo Belvedere, which had been carried off to Paris under Napoleon, it was bought by Pope Pius VII and placed upon the pedestal where the Apollo had formerly stood. In the Museum's version, Canova has refined the ornamental details and aimed for a more lyrical effect than in the Vatican Perseus, a stylistic streamlining characteristic of his artistic process. Medusa's head is based on that of the antique Rondanini Medusa.