Neroccio de' Landi (Italian, Sienese, 1447–1500)
Tempera on wood
24 x 17 1/4 in. (61 x 43.8 cm)
Gift of Samuel H. Kress Foundation, by exchange, 1961 (61.43)
A sculptor as well as a painter, Neroccio de' Landi was one of the most accomplished artists of late fifteenth-century Siena. His painted productions centered on devotional images of the Madonna and Child; this fine example dates from about 1490. The formatwith two accompanying saints set behind the Virginis conventional, but Neroccio's lyrical, relieflike treatment of the figures and his emphasis on surface refinement are peculiar to him. The exceptionally beautiful frame is not original to the picture but was designed by the great architectural engineer-sculptor-painter Francesco di Giorgio, with whom Neroccio shared a workshop between 1468 and 1475.