Otto Boetticher (American, ca. 1816after 1864)
Oil on canvas; 24 x 36 in. (61 x 91.4 cm)
The Edward W. C. Arnold Collection of New York Prints, Maps, and Pictures, Bequest of Edward W. C. Arnold, 1954 (54.90.295)
This painting served as the basis for a lithograph prepared by Charles Gildemeister and printed by the firm of Nagel & Weingartner, New York, in 1852. In 1851, Colonel Abram Duryee was in command of the Seventh Regiment. Henry C. Shumway, a noted miniature painter, was captain of the Eighth Company, and George William Smith and Charles W. Sy were the first and second lieutenants. It is likely that all of these men are shown in this painting. The view depicts the northwest corner of the Washington Square parade ground with New York University in the left foreground. In the background is the Dutch Reformed Church, built between 1839 and 1840 and demolished in 1895.