Maker: Evert Duyckinck (ca. 1620–ca. 1700)
Date: ca. 1656
Geography: Made in New York, New York, United States
Medium: Painted leaded glass
Dimensions: Framed: 22 3/8 x 15 1/2 in. (56.8 x 39.4 cm)
Credit Line: Bequest of Mrs. J. Insley Blair, 1951
Accession Number: 52.77.46
Evert Duyckinic was one of the earliest artists in glass in this country. When he immigrated with his family to New Amsterdam in 1638, he was recorded in historic documents variously as a “glass stainer,” or a “limner.” This window, which is decorated with the Van Rensselaer coat of arms, was one of several armorial panels given in 1656 to the First Dutch Reformed Protestant Church of Beverwyck (present-day Albany), New York. The donor of this example was Jan Baptist Van Rensselaer, director of the large estate known as Rensselaerwyck. After the church was demolished in 1805, the window was installed at the head of the staircase in the Van Rensselaer Manor House. The entry hall from that house can be seen on the second floor of the American Wing (gallery 752).