Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History



  • The Annunciation, parts of a polyptych, 1506
    Gerard David (Netherlandish, ca. 1455–1523)
    Oil on wood; Angel, overall 31 1/8 x 25 in. (79.1 x 63.5 cm), painted surface 30 1/4 x 24 3/8 in. (76.8 x 61.9 cm); Virgin, overall 31 1/8 x 25 1/4 in. (79.1 x 64.1 cm), painted surface 30 1/2 x 24 3/4 in. (77.5 x 61.9 cm)
    Bequest of Mary Stillman Harkness, 1950 (50.145.9ab)

    These panels were part of an elaborate multistoried polyptych commissioned in 1506 by Vincenzo Sauli, a wealthy Italian banker and diplomat, for the high altar of the Benedictine abbey church of San Gerolamo della Cervara, near Genoa. In this ensemble, David created a synthesis of Northern and Italian artistic modes, achieving a rare balance between detailed description and elevated exposition.

    This work of art also appears on Connections: Genoa

    Related


    On view: Gallery 640
    Move Separator Print
    Close
  • The Annunciation, parts of a polyptych, 1506
    Gerard David (Netherlandish, ca. 1455–1523)
    Oil on wood; Angel, overall 31 1/8 x 25 in. (79.1 x 63.5 cm), painted surface 30 1/4 x 24 3/8 in. (76.8 x 61.9 cm); Virgin, overall 31 1/8 x 25 1/4 in. (79.1 x 64.1 cm), painted surface 30 1/2 x 24 3/4 in. (77.5 x 61.9 cm)
    Bequest of Mary Stillman Harkness, 1950 (50.145.9ab)

    Move
    Close