Filippino Lippi (Italian, Florentine, ca. 1457–1504)
Tempera, oil, and gold on wood; 32 x 23 1/2 in. (81.3 x 59.7 cm)
The Jules Bache Collection, 1949 (49.7.10)
On the nearer column seen through the window is the coat of arms of the Strozzi family, for whom Filippino Lippi decorated a chapel in Santa Maria Novella, Florence (14871502). The picture seems to have been painted about 1485, and reveals, in the view through the loggia on the left and in the candlestick, the influence of Flemish painting. A variant of the composition, by Piero di Cosimo, is in the Royal Palace in Stockholm, and another, by the Master of the Naumburg Madonna, is at Mainz.