Joos van Cleve (Netherlandish, ca. 1485–1540/41) and a collaborator
Oil on wood
Shaped top: central panel, painted surface 38 3/4 x 29 1/4 in. (98.4 x 74.3 cm); each wing, painted surface 39 3/4 x 12 7/8 in. (101 x 32.7 cm)
Bequest of George Blumenthal, 1941 (41.190.20a–c)
In this well-preserved, brilliantly detailed triptych, the talents of a landscape specialist—a follower of Patinir—have been combined with those of the figurative painter Joos van Cleve. Perhaps commissioned by an Italian patron, the work has a Genoese provenance, and the two saints in the right-hand panel—Anthony of Padua and Nicholas of Tolentino—were popular in southern Europe. The frame is original but regilt.