Designed by John Sanderson (English, active from 1730, died 1774)
Wood, plaster, and marble
H. 20 ft. (6.09 m), L. 36 ft. (10.97 m), W. 24 ft. (7.32 m)
Fletcher Fund, 1931 (32.53.1)
Kirtlington Park, near Oxford, was built for Sir James Dashwood between 1742 and 1746 by William Smith and John Sanderson; the park was laid out by Lancelot "Capability" Brown. This room, originally used for dining, has its original overmantel painting by John Wootton, dated 1748. The spirited plaster decoration was designed by Sanderson and executed by an Oxford stucco worker; the central panels at the four sides of the ceiling depict the seasons. The richly carved chimneypiece is of marble, the mahogany doors and shutters are equipped with their original gilt-bronze hardware, and the oak floor is also original.