Maker: Attributed to the Workshop of Giuliano da Maiano (1432–1490) and Benedetto da Maiano (1442–1497)
Date: ca. 1489–91
Culture: Italian, Florence
Medium: Walnut, maple, ebony; ebonized wood, and fruitwood; traces of gilding and red paint
Dimensions: H. 58 x W. 16-3/4 x D. 16-1/2 in. (147.3 x 42.5 x 41.9 cm)
Credit Line: Fletcher Fund, 1930
Accession Number: 30.93.2
The coat of arms on the crest is that of Filippo Strozzi (1426–1491), head of a prominent Florentine banking family. In design it is closely related to a medal in the style of Niccolò Fiorentino (1430–1514), probably commissioned for the laying of the cornerstone of Filippo Strozzi's new palace in Florence on August 6, 1489.