Attributed to Francisco de Goya y Lucientes (Spanish, 17461828)
Oil on canvas; 76 3/4 x 49 1/2 in. (194.9 x 125.7 cm)
H. O. Havemeyer Collection, Bequest of Mrs. H. O. Havemeyer, 1929 (29.100.10)
Long thought to be one of two paintings by Goya listed in an 1812 inventory of the artist's possessions, the present painting is now identified as a work first cited in 1835seven years after the artist's death. Lacking the sinister quality of Goya's autograph work, it seems to be a pastiche, perhaps by his son Xavier. Nevertheless, it remains possible that it is a damaged original.