Geography: Augsburg, Bavaria
Culture: German, Augsburg
Dimensions: H. 8 3/4 in. (22.2 cm); W. 15 1/2 in. (39.4 cm); Wt. 2 lb. 7 oz. (1114 g)
Classification: Equestrian Equipment-Saddles
Credit Line: Fletcher Fund, 1921
Accession Number: 21.102.9
This cantle plate was part of a large armor garniture made in Augsburg in 1563 for Count Palatine Wolfgang von Zweibrücken-Veldenz (1526–1569), cousin of the famous Ottheinrich (1502–1559), Elector and Count Palatine of the Rhine. The remainder of this garniture is today divided among the Hermitage, St. Petersburg, the Musée de l'Armée, Paris, and the Musée d'Art et d'Histoire, Brussels. All elements share matching decoration featuring a bold pattern of etched bands with a distinctive raised, leafy border, containing designs of scrolling vines, cherub heads, animals, and musical instruments in a style of etched decoration that was popular in Augsburg and Nuremberg from the 1530s to the 1560s.