François Marius Granet (French, 1775–1849)
Oil on canvas
19 1/4 x 15 1/4 in. (48.9 x 38.7 cm)
Signed (lower center): GRANET / ROME
The Whitney Collection, Promised Gift of Wheelock Whitney III, and Purchase, Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Charles S. McVeigh, by exchange, 2003 (2003.42.36)
Granet trained in the studio of Jacques-Louis David, where he became affiliated with the Troubadour painters, a group of students from southern France who were interested in medieval and royalist subjects. Arriving in Rome in 1802, Granet specialized in paintings of ruins and architectural motifs, favoring depictions of church and monastic interiors. This scene, dominated by the dramatically lit vaulted cloister, which acts as a foil to the silhouetted monks, typifies Granet's approach to his subject.