Set of fourteen side chairs, ca. 1772
Thomas Chippendale (British, 1718–1779)
Mahogany, covered in modern red morocco leather; each 38 1/4 x 22 x 22 1/2 in. (97.2 x 55.9 x 57.1 cm)
Purchase, Lila Acheson Wallace and The Annenberg Foundation Gifts, Gift of Irwin Untermyer and Fletcher Fund, by exchange, Bruce Dayton Gift, and funds from various donors, 1996 (1996.426.1–.14)
Thomas Chippendale executed this set of Neoclassical chairs for Goldsborough Hall in Yorkshire, which belonged to Daniel Lascelles, younger brother of Chippendale's most extravagant patron, Edwin Lascelles of nearby Harewood House. These chairs represent one of Chippendale's most elegant designs. He produced five sets with minor variations, including one in 1769 for Lansdowne House which has not survived. These chairs beautifully illustrate the unity of design between the furniture and Robert Adam's decoration of the Lansdowne dining room that was one of the most notable aspects of his Neoclassical interiors.