Charles Eames (American, 1907–1978); Ray Eames (American, 1912–1988); manufactured by Herman Miller Furniture Company, Zeeland, Michigan
H. 14 1/2 in. (36.8 cm), W. 14 1/2 in. (36.8 cm), D. 10 1/4 in. (26 cm)
Gift of Daniel Wolf, 1986 (1986.437)
This molded plywood chair is part of a suite of furniture the Eameses designed in 1946 specifically for children. This project reflects an increasing interest in the postwar period in creating modern furniture, toys, and other objects for the use and benefit of young children. While recalling their other popular plywood chairs of this period, the LCW (Lounge Chair Wood) and DCW (Dining Chair Wood), this chair is simpler in design and construction. It is comprised of a single piece of molded plywood, draped into a sturdy, durable form, built to withstand the rigors of playtime while providing comfort and support to young, growing bodies. The heart-shaped cutout in the center of the chair back is a reminder of the Eames' strong appreciation of folk art and culture, in this case, Charles' interest in Swedish folk art.