El Greco (Domenikos Theotokopoulos) (Greek, 15411614)
Oil on canvas; 47 x 57 1/2 in. (119.4 x 146.1 cm)
Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Wrightsman, 1978 (1978.416)
This early work by El Greco, of which there are variants in the museums of Dresden and Parma, was perhaps painted in Venice about 1570. The subject was popular during the period of the Counter-Reformation because the healing of blindness is emblematic of the revelation of the true faith.