Made by Pierre Le Bourgeois (died 1627)
Steel, chiseled, blued, and gilded; wood, inlaid with silver, brass, and engraved mother–of–pearl; brass–gilt; bone; L. 55 in. (140 cm)
Rogers and Harris Brisbane Dick Funds, 1972 (1972.223)
This smoothbore hunting gun is one of the earliest firearms equipped with a flintlock of French construction. It was made for Louis XIII of France (r. 161043) in the workshop directed by Pierre Le Bourgeois's brother Marin (ca. 15501634), to whom the invention of the flintlock mechanism is traditionally ascribed. The decoration of the gun includes the crowned monogram of the king.