Date: 9th century
Geography: Made in southern Italy
Culture: South Italian
Medium: Marble (Carrara marble)
Dimensions: Overall: 47 1/2 x 9 1/4 x 8 7/8 in. (120.7 x 23.5 x 22.5 cm)
Credit Line: Rogers Fund, 1918
Accession Number: 18.70.21
Each of the four faces of this pillar shows a different scrolled vine-and-leaf pattern. The exact use of the pillar is unclear. Along with an identical one now in Berlin, it may have been part of a pulpit or a canopy over an altar or a choir screen.