French; Made in Limoges
Gilded copper and champlevé enamel; 4 7/8 x 7 1/16 x 3 3/8 in. (12.4 x 18.9 x 8.5 cm)
Gift of J. Pierpont Morgan, 1917 (17.190.685–87, 695, 710–11)
Saint Martial, first bishop of Limoges, prominently appears to the right of Christ on this gilded enamel reliquary once owned by the Church of Saint-Martial in Champagnat, a town 100 kilometers northeast of Limoges. Martial was particularly venerated in the area around Limoges, and where he was deemed to be of equal rank with the apostles.