South Italian; modern Amalfi (Campania)
Ivory; 4 1/4 x 4 1/4 in. (10.8 x 10.8 cm)
Gift of J. Pierpont Morgan, 1917 (17.190.156)
This ivory plaque comes from a set of some fifty ivories showing scenes from the Bible. Forming an extensive narrative, they may have decorated a large piece of church furnishing--perhaps the enclosure before the altar--for the Cathedral of Salerno dedicated in 1084.