Gerard David (Netherlandish, ca. 1455–1523)
Oil on wood; Arched top 6 1/8 x 4 3/4 in. (15.6 x 12.1 cm)
Bequest of Benjamin Altman, 1913 (14.40.636)
Painted with the delicacy of an illuminated manuscript, this panel was originally the right wing of a portable diptych intended for private devotion. The left wing, in the Bearsted Collection, Upton House, Warwickshire, shows the Virgin and Child with musical angels.
The metal frame is modern.