Kantharos (drinking cup with high handles), ca. 325–300 b.c.; red–figure
Attributed to the Painter of Bari 5981
Greek, South Italian, Apulian
Terracotta; H. with handles 11 in. (27.9 cm)
Rogers Fund, 1906 (06.1021.233)
Obverse: woman with kalathos (wool basket)
Reverse: head of a woman
The kantharos was found in tomb A of the Scocchera Hypogeum in Canosa in 1895. Canosa was an Italic settlement where large numbers of South Italian vases have been found in its chamber tombs. In the last third of the 4th century B.C., it appears to have been the home of the Baltimore Painter, one of the most important of the late Apulian vase painters.