Watch a video to find out.
Stay logged in
Go to Navigation
Go to Content
Go to Search
Back to Selected Highlights
Please enable flash to view this media. Download the flash player.
Please enable flash to view this media.
Download the flash player.
As part of a special Sunday at the Met program held in conjunction with the exhibition Bashford Dean and the Creation of the Arms and Armor Department, Dirk H. Breiding, Assistant Curator, discusses challenges faced by the Arms and Armor Department, including widespread misconceptions and the difficulties of displaying weapons and armor that were rarely intended to be viewed in a museum.
The Beyond Battle interactive game is now available for download on
Special thanks to Kaos Historical Media for the use of their footage.
Dressing in Steel: Part One
(00:37:39) 699 views
Dressing in Steel: Part Two
(00:20:04) 285 views
A Visit to the Armor Galleries
(00:30:21) 4364 views
Bashford Dean and the Creation of the Arms and Armor Department, 1904–1929
(00:30:12) 227 views
The Art of Arms and Armor: Challenges of Research, Display, and Education
(00:33:09) 321 views
Curators, Collectors, and Dealers: The Growth of the Arms and Armor Collection, 1929 to the Present
(00:36:37) 208 views
Morion for the Bodyguard of the Prince-Elector of Saxony
Browse current and upcoming exhibitions and events.
This artwork is currently on display in Gallery 371
The electors of Saxony appear to have been the only German princes in the sixteenth century to outfit their bodyguards with matching equipment. The guards' helmets are etched and gilt on one side with the coat of arms of the dukedom of Saxony and on the other side with the crossed swords that signify the duke's office as archmarshal of the Holy Roman Empire. Originally, the gilt decoration was contrasted with black painted surfaces (some now polished bright). The black and gold derived from the Saxon coat of arms and were also the colors of the guards' uniforms. This helmet and a similar one also in the Metropolitan Museum's collection (acc. no. 14.25.633) were made by armorers in Nuremberg.
Marking: Marked on the front on the left side of the brim: I M.
Ex. coll.: Royal Armory, Dresden, Germany; Prince Peter Soltykoff, Paris, France; William H. Riggs.
© 2000–2013 The Metropolitan Museum of Art. All rights reserved.