After the first land battle at Bull Run, both the Union and the Confederacy saw the need for large hospitals. Confederate States President Jefferson Davis acted first and began construction of five hospitals near Richmond, Virginia, in 1861; the largest of these, Chimborazo, reportedly treated about seventy-six thousand patients during the war. In the North, construction did not begin until 1862, but in two years President Lincoln had 187 general hospitals built, providing 118,000 beds. The majority were in the District of Columbia, including Armory Square Hospital seen here. The view shows Ward F and appears to document an anniversary of the facility, complete with flags, evergreens, and hanging flower baskets. The hospital was constructed on land adjacent to the Smithsonian Institution, approximately where the National Air and Space Museum stands today.