From Egypt, Upper Egypt, Thebes, Asasif, Temple of Ramesses IV, foundation, Carnarvon/Carter excavations, 1906
H. 32 cm (12 5/8 in.); W. 32 cm (12 5/8 in.); D. 6.5 cm (2 9/16 in.)
Purchase, Edward S. Harkness Gift, 1926
On view at The Met Fifth Avenue in Gallery 118
This fine relief of Thutmose III probably came from his valley temple. He also constructed a mortuary temple against the cliffs of Deir el-Bahri at Thebes adjacent to that of Hatshepsut, with whom he shared the kingship for part of his reign. It shows the king wearing the khat headcloth with a very menacing coiled uraeus on his brow.
The fragment was found reused in a Ramesside temple on the same site as Thutmose's valley temple. It was excavated in 1906 by Lord Carnarvon and came to the Museum after his death along with many other items in his collection.
Excavated by Lord Carnarvon and Howard Carter, 1906. Acquired by Carnarvon in the division of finds. Carnarvon Collection 1906-1926. Carnarvon Collection purchased by the Museum from Lady Carnarvon, 1926.