Picasso likely made this watercolor immediately after finishing "Standing Nude" (67.162). Shadows that are there penciled in are here colored with blue watercolor. Both sheets belong to a large group of paintings and watercolors of single or several figures that culminates in the monumental "Three Women" (1907-8, The State Hermitage Museum, Saint Petersburg), which Picasso revised and repainted as his thinking and palette changed.
Inscription: Signed in graphite, lower right: Picasso
the artist, Paris (from 1908; to Kahnweiler); [Galerie Kahnweiler, Paris, in 1914; stock no. 1106, photo no. 200]; [Galerie Percier (Alfred Richet), Paris, by 1942–at least 1953]; private collection, Paris (until 1979); [Apollo Arts, Ltd. (Karel Zoller, Kurt Kimmel, and Eugene V. Thaw), Zurich, 1979–80; sold by Thaw on October 15, 1980 to Gelman]; Jacques and Natasha Gelman, Mexico City and New York (1980–his d. 1986); Natasha Gelman, Mexico City and New York (1986–d. 1998; her bequest to MMA)
Paris. Musée National d'Art Moderne. "Le Cubisme, 1907–1914," January 30–April 9, 1953, no. 14.
Musée des Beaux-Arts, Lyons. "Picasso," July 1–September 27, 1953, no. 17.