In 1851, Baldus made this photograph while working for the Historic Monuments Commission, a French government agency. It was the first government-sponsored photographic survey, referred to as the missions heliographiques. This work is still owned by the government and is held at the Médiathèque de l'Architecture et du Patrimoine.
This work was in the collection of the Musee National des Monuments, Francais, Paris, but in 1994 the collection was handed over to the Direction du Patrimoine, of which the Mediatheque is a part.
Reproduced in Malcolm Daniel's exhibition catalogue, "The photographs of Édouard Baldus," (New York: Metropolitan Museum of Art: Distributed by H.N. Abrams, 1994), plate 1.
This print was in the exhibition held at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, October 3-December 31, 1994.