Purchase, Jennifer and Joseph Duke Gift and The Horace W. Goldsmith Foundation Gift, through Joyce and Robert Menschel, 2000
Not on view
The deep shadows framing this doorway at Chartres create spatial depth and draw the viewer’s gaze toward a tiny detail: a small lamp hanging in the center of the open doorway. Marville’s keen ability to harness the play of light, especially against three-dimensional surfaces, made him a sought-after photographer of architecture and sculpture. This print was formerly in the collection of the sculptor Adolphe-Victor Geoffroy-Dechaume, who contributed to the restoration of Chartres in the 1850s and frequently hired Marville to photograph his work.
Inscription: Signed and inscribed in the negative, center left: "CHARTRES. / [C]h. Marville. / 1854."
Adolphe-Victor Geoffroy Dechaume; his descendents; Galerie Françoise Paviot, Paris (2000)
This photograph shows the 13th-century jamb figures of the apostles John, James the Major, James the Minor, and Bartholomew on the right side of the central portal of the South Porch of Chartres Cathedral.