The Sèvres porcelain factory, established in the Château of Vincennes just outside Paris in 1740, quickly became the preeminent producer of porcelain in Europe. Supported in its early years by the patronage of Louis XV, the factory was named the manufacture du roi in 1753 and was purchased by the king in 1759. Catering in large part to the tastes of the Court, the factory strove for constant innovation and originality throughout the eighteenth century, frequently employing the leading artists and designers of the day to provide models and inspiration for the factory's artisans. This exhibition focuses on the diversity of the factory's production, which included a wide range of both functional and decorative objects. The installation is drawn entirely from the Museum's superb holdings of Sèvres porcelain and from its unparalleled collection of eighteenth-century French furniture decorated with Sèvres plaques.