Ever wonder what it's like behind the scenes at one of the world's largest and finest art museums?
A paid internship at The Metropolitan Museum of Art is your chance to find out. You'll get the inside scoop on a wide variety of Museum jobs in conservation, education, photography, exhibition design, merchandising, and curatorial areas. You'll also develop professional skills, visit conservation labs, explore the galleries, and assist an expert in one of the Museum's departments—valuable experiences to build your résumé. You don't need prior experience or specific knowledge of art or art history to apply—just an interest in learning about museum careers and great works of art!
The Museum offers internships each fall, spring, and summer. The fall and spring internships are open to students in grades 11 and 12 at a New York City Department of Education high school that receives Title I funding. (Check with a school administrator to find out if your school does.) Summer internships are open to students who, on the application date, are enrolled in grades 11 and 12 at any high school in the New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut tristate area.
To apply, first complete the application form online. Two letters of recommendation are also required, one of which must be from a teacher or school administrator; letters must be emailed directly by the recommenders to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dates to Remember
Summer 2013 Program
- Application available: Now
- Deadline: April 17, 2013
- Program dates: July 8–August 15, 2013, Monday–Thursday, 10:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m.
Fall 2013 Program
- Application available: May 1, 2013
- Deadline: September 18, 2013
- Program dates: October 23, 2013–January 17, 2014, Wednesdays and Fridays, 4:00–6:00 p.m. (no sessions November 25–29 or December 19–January 7), with additional sessions Saturday, November 2 and Saturday, December 7, 10:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
Spring 2014 Program
- Application available: October 1, 2013
- Deadline: January 15, 2014
- Program dates: March 5–May 14, 2014, Wednesdays and Fridays, 4:00–6:00 p.m. (no sessions April 14–22), with additional sessions Saturday, March 15 and Saturday, May 3, 10:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
For more information, email email@example.com or call 212-650-2330.
High School Internships are made possible by Mr. and Mrs. Marvin H. Schein, Joseph and Sylvia Slifka Fund, and The Billy Rose Foundation.