Colossi of Amenhotep IIIDynasty 18 (ca. 1390-1353 B.C.)From Thebes, Temple of LuxorPorphyritic dioriteRogers Fund and Edward S. Harkness Gift, by exchange, 192222.5.1-.2These two colossi of Amenhotep III, whose distinctive facial traits are still recognizable despite their damaged state, once adorned the temple he built to Amen-Re at Luxor in Thebes. Like so many Dynasty 18 monuments, these statues were usurped by Merneptah (ca. 1213-1203 B.C.), who had the statues moved from their original location to the eastern portal of the temple. Merneptah's deeply incised titulary contrasts with the restrained carving of the sema tawy ("Unification of the Two Lands") motif on both sides of the throne of the larger colossus. While the broad, flat planes and bold proportions are typical of Egyptian architectural statuary, these pieces are distinguished by the quality of sculptural details, such as the rendering of facial features and of elements of dress.