The elegant design and fine stone of these windows bear witness to the importance of the monastery from which they come: Sens was one of the first Dominican foundations in France, and one of the most powerful. In 1420, however, it was sacked by the English. A year later, the duchess of Burgundy offered funds for its repair, and local citizens followed suit. By 1475, Dominicans from all over France were able to convene for meetings at Sens, suggesting that the refectory, from which these windows come, must have been completed by that date. One window in the refectory was fitted with stained glass in 1503. The monastery fell into disrepair in the 18th century, and its buildings were offered for sale beginning in 1791. Six windows from the refectory remained in place until the 1920s, when they were purchased by the American banker George Blumenthal for his home in Auteuil. As President of the Metropolitan Museum, he donated these four to The Cloisters in 1935.