Heinrich Thannhauser (1859–1935) opened the Moderne Galerie in 1909, in an ornate space in the Arco Palais, a grand, eighteenth-century Rococo-style building on Munich’s Theatinerstrasse. During the gallery’s early years, Thannhauser endured much criticism from the press and derision from the public for the avant-garde work he chose to display, yet he held firmly to his gallery’s mission and continued to arrange exhibitions of art that was, in his words, “modern in the best sense.” Thannhauser’s success was due in part to his collaborations with well-established Paris-based dealers, such as Paul Durand-Ruel, Daniel-Henry Kahnweiler, and Ambroise Vollard. Moderne Galerie closed in 1928.
Less than one month after signing a contract with Picasso (December 17, 1912), Kahnweiler shipped twenty-nine of the artist’s works to Munich in preparation for Picasso’s first German retrospective. It was held at Moderne Galerie in February 1913. This gouache, Landscape (1908), was probably included in that show, although the number “49” on the Thannhauser label affixed to the work’s backboard does not correspond to the exhibition catalogue.