Pasted on the verso of Picasso's The Oil Mill (1909), Roger Dutilleul's collection label is a modest sticker with a turquoise border, listing his name and Parisian address at 48 bis, rue de la Monceau. Dutilleul (1873–1956) was one of the first collectors to frequent Daniel-Henry Kahnweiler's gallery, and he bought prodigiously. Every available inch of wall- and floor-space in his apartment was taken up by paintings, which were balanced on the floor, tables, and chairs. Kahnweiler later recalled that in those days, "a gallery, its artists and the gallery owner could survive with very few collectors, three or four perhaps, but they were truly loyal friends, chief among them in France was Roger Dutilleul, who was from the outset a fervent connoisseur." Dutilleul bought The Oil Mill for 500 francs from Kahnweiler in 1910 and owned it until his death in 1956. During that period, he loaned it to two important exhibitions: the 1932 Exposition Pablo Picasso at the Galerie Georges Petit, Paris, and the 1950 Quattro maesttri del Cubismo at the Venice Biennale. The Leonard A. Lauder Cubist Collection includes other works that Dutilleul acquired directly from Kahnweiler: Picasso's Chess (1911), Braque's Mandolin and Fruit Dish (1909) and The Castle of la Roche-Guyon (1909), and Léger's Sketch for "The Acrobats in the Circus" (1918). Many works formerly owned by Dutilleul are now in the collection of the Lille métropole musée d'art moderne, d'art contemporain, et d'art brut.
For more information, see