Watch a video to find out.
Stay logged in
Go to Navigation
Go to Content
Go to Search
Back to browse highlights
Design for an Officer's Sword
Trade card of Thomas Fletcher of Philadelphia, Silversmith, (after 1830)
Browse current and upcoming exhibitions and events.
This artwork is currently on display in Gallery 731
This is one of a pair of vases given in 1825 by a group of New York merchants to Governor De Witt Clinton of New York for his role in promoting the construction of the Erie Canal. The vase is decorated with a combination of mythological elements and American motifs. On the front, the figures of Mercury (commerce) and Ceres (agriculture) flank a view of the canal's guard lock and basin at Albany; on the back, Hercules (strength) and Minerva (wisdom) are depicted with the aqueduct at Rochester and the falls of the Genesee River.
Inscription: engraved on plaque on front of base: The Merchants of Pearl Street, New York, / TO THE HON. DEWITT CLINTON / Whose claim to the proud Title of "Public Benefactor," / is founded on those magnificent works, / The Northern and Western CANALS.
engraved on bottom left corner of plaque: Fletcher & Gardiner Makers
engraved on bottom right corner of plaque: Philad[superscript a over "] December 1824Marking: marked on underside of body: [within two concentric circles] FLETCHER & GARDINER.; [in rectangle in center] PHILA
marked twice on underside of base: FLETCHER & / GARDINER. (in banner);PHILA (in rectangle)
De Witt Clinton, Albany, New York, from 1825; Mrs. Abraham H. Baldwin (née Clinton), Albany, until 1906; Mrs. Morris K. (Maria van Antwerp De Witt) Jesup, New York, 1906–1908; New York Chamber of Commerce and Industry, New York, 1908–1982
© 2000–2013 The Metropolitan Museum of Art. All rights reserved.